Tyre pressures?

General Enduro banter

Blogger
Blogger

Post Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:05 pm

Tyre pressures?

What tyre pressures should I be running for forest events? All of the differing opinions are getting confusing.
I'm running Maxxis FIM enduro tyres on D shaped DID rims. I have read about rim clean but don't understand this. I would think both of my next races will be quite sloppy in places. Rendlesham isn't that fast, Thetford?

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Tyre pressures?

Forget tyre pressures and run mousses at least on the rear...back to question, 14psi (standard) for hardpack, 11 if it gets slippery and all the way to 8psi for the nasty stuff, but at that pressure you're running the risk of a compression puncture..you know like I suffered at Riverhill, the only time all year I run with tubes :roll:

Post Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:45 pm

It might sound silly but what are mousses :?: iv just got some haul loops they seem like a good idear, do you have them :?:

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:55 pm

They are solid lumps of rubber that replace the inner tube, if kept lubricated they will last all year or a bit more, around £80 for a rear. You need some technique when fitting them and a mousse board with extensions fitted to standard tyre levers help a lot.

Manny fitting a mousse = 10 minutes of swearing

This guy 60 seconds with a fancy mousse board :wtf:

Nope on the haul loops :thumbup:

Post Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:40 pm

Thanks manny.That guy in the vid should work for kwik fit :lol: Are mousses ok on road :?: front and back :?: lubricated with what :think: do they fit any enduro tyre :crazy:

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:12 pm

I very much doubt they are road legal, feel very weird on the road because the tyre moves around a bit also the wheel feels badly out of balance (not noticeable off road) , generally the squish is equal to a tube at 14psi some manufactures have started selling hard/soft options. Silicone grease for lubrication, once they get dry the friction between the tyre and mousse makes then turn virtually into dust. You can buy them in 120 & 140 18" .

Blogger
Blogger

Post Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:32 pm

Mousses on the road are a no. they would over heat. I can't afford to put mousses in. :roll:
I have been running tubes all year and had no punctures. Just been lucky so far spose!

Return to Enduro Talk