Technical problem

General Enduro banter

Blogger
Blogger

Post Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:53 am

Technical problem

At Butts quarry my bike just died. I was going up a steep hill on my 6th lap and it lterally just died on me. I hauled it to the top and tried bumping it down the other side. Nothing! I then stripped the carb and all was ok there.
It turned out to have no spark. Now at home and checking it out.

I have a spark from the HT lead when grounded (by me :wtf: )
No spark when I put spark plug and cap on.
New spark plug cap.
Still no spark!

The one thing i'm not too sure is if the spark is weak. It doesn't appear to be big fat and blue.
What would cause it to die immeadiately like that?
Cheers.

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: Technical problem

Not having much luck are you! :wtf:
Coils can breakdown with heat and work again when cold.
Tricky one electrical problems but with a multimeter can be traced, hopefully just the coil gone bad, first thing I would do is check are all the earths are in good condition, then look at the pick up next to the flywheel is still in the right position (should be ok), next test the coil high/low circuits, there might be enough to give you a shock but sparks plugs need at least 35,000 volts to work...if it ain't that things start getting expensive :thumbdown:

Good little webpage on electrical testing http://www.dansmc.com/electricaltesting.htm

Blogger
Blogger

Post Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:35 pm

Re: Technical problem

I'm a little pee'd off at the moment. I think I may well take it to my mechanic, get it sorted and sell it. It was going great guns until then. It will be touch and go as to whether I will be able to ride at Whaddon.
Cheers for the help. I plan on taking a pen and paper on Holiday with me to write up some stuff.

Return to Enduro Talk